Sweet Potato Salad

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Hello beauties, I know this isn't my usual type of post however I hope to incorporate more food related posts with you to share my love for food! I try to live a healthy lifestyle by keeping active and eating a well balanced diet. I eat 80% clean so I am able to indulge on those naughty treats and not feel so bad as I have a gigantic sweet tooth! This recipe is something I came up with about a week ago when I was trying to think of what I could have for dinner. I was after something packed with goodness but also bursting with flavours. I have become obsessed with sweet potato as I have come of age and wanted to make a change from the traditional Pumpkin, Beetroot and Feta Salad by substituting sweet potato for pumpkin and adding my own little touch. I loved it so much I cooked it again a few days ago for my mum and dad (just to make sure it wasn't my biased opinion) and was given the thumbs up :) 


So here is what you will need:

Salad:
Sweet Potato
Leafy Greens (I used spinach)
Tomato
Capsicum
Corn
Mixed Beans (I used Chickpeas, Red Kidney Beans, 
Lima Beans, Great Northern Beans, Borlotti Beans)
Feta
Beetroot
Avocado
Red Onion

Sweet Potato Seasoning:
1 tbls Olive Oil
Tuscan Seasoning
Salt & Pepper




Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius. Start by peeling your Sweet Potatoes (I used 2 sweet potatoes for the 3 people) and chop up into 1 to 1.5 inch pieces. Once this is done place in a large bowl ready to be seasoned.





Add in your olive oil, tuscan seasoning and salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix making sure that every piece is evenly coated. Place on a baking tray and put in the oven to roast for 30-40 minutes or until golden on the edges.






While the sweet potato is in the oven you can get started on the rest of the salad. Chop up your tomatoes, capsicum, onion, beetroot, avocado and feta and toss into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.


Once your sweet potatoes are ready take them out of the oven and cool for a couple of minutes. Add them to the salad and voilĂ  your dinner is ready to be enjoyed!



This is an extremely fast and simple recipe with room to experiment, by adding or changing certain ingredients. I'd like to find a complimenting dressing (even though I don't feel it is necessary) and perhaps try this with roast beets instead of fresh. You could also add in a meat of your choice if your not up for an all out vegetarian meal.

I hope you have enjoyed something a little different and let me know if you try it, I'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback :)


Post a Comment