Just Winging It

Friday 16 January 2015




Perfecting a wing liner is not an easy task, after a lot of practice and black eyes later I feel as though I have some what of a good wing going on but don't be fooled I still have my off days! There are so many different types, techniques and applicators to create a wing with everyone having their own personal touch. However I thought I could share with you some of my tips on how I achieve my wing.

As I mentioned above their are countless different types of applicators that it can all become a little over whelming at times. You have your gel liners, liquid liner, pens and pencils, I recommend sticking to what you know and for those who have never used liner before pick one you think will work best for you and just practice, practice, practice. My weapon of choice is a pen liner specifically Stila's Stay all Day Liquid Liner. This is just what works best for me as I am able to get a precise line with it's fine tip nib. There are 5 steps I take to create my wing, firstly draw a thin line across the top of my lash line. Starting about 3/4 of the way in, use the side of the pen nib to draw short strokes across the lash line until you reach the outer corner. Now to establish the wing, you want to draw a straight line starting at the very tip of the outer corner of your eye towards the end of your eyebrow. For beginners you can start off by putting sticky tape as a guide to help you practice and will guarantee a perfectly straight line. Depending on how big you want your wing to be will determine how far towards your brow to draw the line. Draw another straight line from the point of the wing to about 1/4 way across the eye to join up with the thin line we created earlier. The easy part is to now fill in the blank area between the two lines you have just drawn. If you have used tape now is the time to remove it from the bottom upwards to keep the crisp line. If you were drawing free hand get some concealer onto an angled liner brush to clean up any mistakes and sharpen up the line.

For those of you who have never dared to attempt a wing, maybe with the fear of it being to complicated I hope this has helped to set you in the right direction and proved to you just how simple it really can be. To those of you who are in the mastering stages I hope this has provided you with some tips to creating the perfect wing.

Do you have any tricks or tips for creating the perfect wing?

Post a Comment